Monday, April 29, 2013

Years

Yesterday’s sermon began with something very fun and it wasn’t initiated by me. I guess it would be safe to say that it was initiated by two people five decades ago.

Before worship I found out that one of the couples in my church family was celebrating their 50th anniversary. Sometimes when events like that are mentioned on a Sunday it usually follows with, “The actual day is this coming Thursday.” Not this celebration. Sunday was the day! I was thrilled to be asked to present them with a vase of roses and a card.

As I walked over to where they were seated, I thought of a bunch of questions for them:

In what ways is your marriage stronger today than after the first few years?

Marriage is in the news a lot today. What makes your marriage different than the rest?

What have you done right?

What have you done wrong?

What would you have done differently?

Their smiles answered many of my questions. Only those sitting right in front of them could join me in seeing their faces. 50 years. When they said, “I do,” they did.

2 comments:

  1. Love it!! Great example!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a great example that couple is. :) I'm thankful, too, for you, reader.

      Delete